NOTICES: 15th MAY 2022
- Today is the Fifth Sunday of Easter – Alleluia, Christ is risen!
Today’s readings are (page numbers in the pew Bibles):
- New Testament: Acts 11: 1 – 18 (1105)
- New Testament: Revelation 21: 1 – 6 (1249)
- Gospel: John 13: 31 – 35 (1082)
- Next Sunday, 22nd May, at 10.30 a.m., there will be Morning Worship. On Thursday 26th at 7.30 p.m., there will be a service of Holy Communion for Ascension Day; and on Sunday 29th May, there will be no services here. There will be a joint service of Holy Communion with the other Over Wyre parishes at Out Rawcliffe.
- The WaterAid collection now totals over £400, plus an “interesting” assortment of foreign coins, pre-decimal UK currency, etc.
- Coffee Morning for Christian Aid Week here at 10.30 a.m. THIS Thursday 19th May. Bring and Buy stall. Donations of cakes, and items for the Bring and Buy stall will be very welcome.
- “Coffee and Prayer” on Thursday mornings, 9.30 – 11 a.m.
- Reflections: God is love: therefore love must be the fundamental creative force in the universe. “Love one another, as I have loved you.” God’s love is more than human emotions – and we are commanded to act according to love. Love God; and love all humankind, just as much as we love ourselves. (Incidentally, the Latin word for “command” is “mandatum”, like ‘mandate’. The reading from John was specified for Maundy Thursday – Maundy is a corruption of mandatum!)
- Calling all men! Back in the dim and distant past BC, (Before Covid), a small group of men met on a Monday evening in the church extension (and occasionally, in the ‘Seven Stars’) to eat pies, enjoy a convivial drink and chat (BYOB), and have a time of quite informal Bible discussion and short prayers. We are have recently restarted, and we do have room for a few more men to join us, if the above description appeals to you. If you would like more information, please see Paul. Order your pies from Elaine Evans.
- Platinum Prom News: Thursday June 2nd, (6.30 for 7.00 p.m. start)
- Only 18 days to go until the Platinum Prom! Make sure you save the date in your diary, buy a ticket and plan your outfit!
- Tickets will be on sale as you exit church over the next few weeks at the bargain price of £1.00. We will be encouraging donations towards refreshment costs at the event.
- If you have any Royal memorabilia you would like to be included in our special display that evening, Sandra is the nominated person to hand it to. Item(s) will be labelled, logged and locked away for security until the day of the event and then returned safely afterwards.
- ALL children are invited and encouraged to join in the mini Coronation procession at the start of the Prom.
See Gill/Louise for details.
- Please be creative and complete your bunting flag (given out last Sunday 8th May) ASAP. It will be used to decorate the church for the Prom (ideas are on the website under the ‘St James’ Life’ tab). If you didn’t receive a flag, or you would love to do more than one, there are some spare ones at the back of church.